Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Lesson #2 God the Eternal Father

"...Sunday's message (taught by Abi Guzman) was a good one, perhaps because it also fit in with this month's visiting teaching message. It really hit home to me when we started talking about the nature of our relationship with God - how we are his children and have a bit of divinity in ourselves. I really liked the analogy of a small seed growing into a large tree - usually we hear about that in terms of growing faith, but it also fits with our relationship with Heavenly Father. We won't become tall right away, and each of us has a different growth rate. But each of us can become a large tree, or become perfect in all things like Heavenly Father, if we stick to it. We have eternity to become that way!

Everything that God has done, from creating the Earth, to preparing a way for us to become perfect through his mercy and grace (after all that we can do) has been aimed at our own eternal progression to become as God is, to become one with him and Christ and the Holy Ghost in purpose and love. He has given us an example in Christ, and given us scriptures to act as a roadmap to gaining Charity, peace, kindness, knowledge, and all other Godly attributes. We are meant to become as God is; Christ told us to become like him, and we have been given godly attributes to achieve.

I know that we have more power within us than we know, and that if we work one step at a time towards becoming like God, we will one day, or one eternity later, reach that goal."

-Lianna Quillen

1 comment:

byuh 5th RS said...

Thank you Abi for the lesson and Lianna for the great insights.
I heard "Remember who you are" often during my youth and it did not ring to me first, but the knowledge about us being the beloved spirit daughters of God the Eternal Father helped me to focus on positive things in me and others around me. This knowledge motivates me to follow Christ although I fall short here and there and get discouraged for a moment.
Once again, from this lesson I experienced joy in knowing that God really lives and he is our loving father. This feeling was again, another spiritual confirmation to me that the church is true. :)
Thank you everyone for teaching me the truth.

Eria